What is the NHS Health Check?
If you’re aged between 40 and 74, you may be eligible for a FREE NHS Health Check that can help you live a longer and healthier life.
The NHS Health Check programme aims to prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes and kidney disease. If you don’t already have one of these conditions, you can have a NHS health check once every five years.
Visit the NHS website for more information about the NHS Health Check programme.
What happens at an NHS Health Check?
- The check will take no longer than 30 minutes.
- You’ll be asked some simple questions about your family history and any medication you’re taking.
- Your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity will be recorded.
- Your blood pressure will be taken.
- If eligible a simple blood test will be done to check your cholesterol and, in some cases, your blood sugar levels.
- You’ll be given personalised advice on how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle.